Monday, September 29, 2008

AAQG Show

The Austin Area Quilt Guild biennial show was this weekend. There were lots of great quilts, including many made by friends and fellow bee-members. I did some volunteer work, including check-out at the end which was crazy hectic. My mom came down on Saturday from Dallas for the show. She behaved herself well overall, but some things are just never going to change...

I found multicolored variegated embroidery floss, which made me very happy! I also got three more mini wholecloth pre-printed quilt tops, a Halloween embroidery pattern, and a needleworked scissor case handmade by a guild member and sold in the boutique (all proceeds go to the guild). I'll put pictures up tomorrow, as the camera is currently dead and I need to look for the extra batteries.

Here are a few of the quilts. I didn't get pictures of all of them (there were more than 400!), but I got quite a few and put them up in a Photobucket album.

Here was the Best In Show. It also won Excellence in Design and 1st place in the Art Quilt Category. It was made by Bill Horne, who works at The Quilt Store here in Austin. He's the first male quilter to win a BIS in Texas!


Here are my two quilts! I met my goal of not getting reamed by the judges. I have a few minor things to work on but overall I got good comments. I even got a "lovely hand stitching" from a judge who is known to have a critical eye for handquilting! Whee!


(My little one blended into the grey curtain, bah.) Not a good picture - can't see the wholecloth design! Oh well.


Here are my favorite two - the picture came out small on one of them, though:


Here's a close-up:


This Hawaiian quilt got Excellence in Hand Quilting and 1st in the large applique cateogory. This is my long-term quilting goal - to make a Hawaiian quilt. I can only hope it will be as intricate and beautiful as this one:

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilts. Thank you for showing them.

    Love and hugs Gina xxx

    Thanks for looking! I wish I could have taken more pictures, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is awesome you got to enter 2 pieces you were proud of and come away with positive criticism.

    And just wow, on both of those quilts...the Hawaiian one is just incredible.

    I was pleased - especially since the comment about the quilting was a hand-written one, not just the box that was checked off! The Hawaiian one was gorgeous - I can only dream of doing needleturn that well at this point!

    ReplyDelete