Saturday, August 2, 2008

Practice in Purple

Toni (The Quilting Pirate) will appreciate this one. :D I'm going to use her idea for displaying my little quilts, too! :D

I ordered a few miniature quilt tops from a woman on Ebay for about $10 each. They arrived today, and they're very well made (points, size, lay flat, etc.). I thought it would be a good way to work on specific quilting techniques with minimal hassle - and I'd get a finished product quickly. :D I received my two tops today, and finished the first one. I was working on my stitch-in-the-ditch, which I don't do often (because historically, I've not been good at it) and microstippling. The SITD came out very nicely, as I was using my overcast foot with the little guidebar right in the middle of the foot. That helped a LOT - it's perfect! I also, surprisingly, had NO tension issues with the FMQ. Yay!

Finished quilt. It is 16" x 16":
Photobucket

You can see how the log cabins "pop" out with the denser background quilting with it hanging off the edge of the ironing board here:
Photobucket

Close-up of SITD and fabrics:
Photobucket

Back of quilt (pictures taken before the sleeve or label is put on):
Photobucket

Close-up of FMQ (sorry, it's a little blurry):
Photobucket

This is the other top I bought. I'm still thinking about what I want to work on with regard to quilting it...It'll probably be something FMQ-related, but I'll have to come up with a design just for it. I am going to call this one "Oceans Away!"

Top:
Photobucket

Close-up of the fabrics. There are two batiks and two Fairy Frost fabrics, very pretty!
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. ya need to share the ebay store link so we all can purchase these babies! I can use them in my miniature swaps! :) They turned out sooo well!

    I thought you would like it! Just search for "mini quilt tops" and see what comes up!

    ReplyDelete